Listed on Blogwise

Friday, November 19, 2004

SIGNS KNOWLEDGE 1.01 - Introduction

Welcome to the Uninitiated ! You the business owner who needs to buy new signs, or replace or update old signs. Or the new entrepreneur who knows nothing about signs. You the farmer who needs a few signs for the market or the barns. You the individual who wants something nice on the end of your drive or on the mailbox.
Lend me your ears and I'll teach you what you need to know to get value for your money, to get what you want, to get what you need and to get what you pay for.

I have been planning the content for a newsletter for a few years and finally found the format I need without knowing everything about websites. So, from now on you can look forward to a tidbit a day of useful information, a story or two about signwriting* interjected with the odd trade jokes, les feux-pas, strange but true, songs and poems and eventually a gallery of good and bad samples of signs. From 26 years in the business, in several countries and many, many sign shops, I have a wealth of stuff to share with you ! And I'll make it a bit of fun here and there too. I reckon I have a years worth of short articles; easily.

My Father was a damned good sign writer for 46 years - with the traditional brush and mohl* stick; fast, accurate, steady with pleasing overall sign designs. He taught me all the techniques and as important, the ethics and responsibilities of the business. This last part is what a lot of sign makers ( not the majority) know nothing about. I don't mean unscrupulous. I seriously have only ever bumped into a very few. And they weren't sign makers, but sign salesmen. I will prepare you for the different people who will take your order.



Why was the first sign ever made ?

I’ll take you on a tour in my shoes of the sign Biz

So first, let us guess on what the first sign was
Maybe the caveman’s warning to kin,
Or a notice to travelers in old days, the Inn.
Signs started as landmarks, symbols, warnings and crests,
Skull and crossbones on flags were signs at their best.
Sign language, a sign that that person can’t hear.
The hunter collects fumets, a sign of a deer.
So what’s the first sign - to warn or directing ?
It’s a sign of someone who has you they’re expecting.

The rhymin' signm'n - cliff the spiff



A QUICK LESSON FOR TODAY :

The 7 reasons for having a sign; To Identify, To Promote, To Enhance, To Market, To Warn, To Inform, To Direct. Sometimes it's one reason, sometimes it's a few reasons. And each sign may have it's own reason for being.

Come Back Tomorrow !


* signwriting = sign painting in Canada / US
* mohl stick = a tool to keep the hand steady when lettering with paints