Listed on Blogwise

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A miscellany day.

And since I can - I'm going to change the name of this blog if only for today.
A day in the life of Cliff - you know - The Signs Guy !

Dear Family, Friends, Neighbours, Sign Buddies and Business Associates, and a couple of page viewers from the net. Thank you all for your glowing remarks.

I will change
the signs page background eventually to avoid what my brother Norm reminded me as “. . . that is with type so small, especially in a serif font has a tendency to cause “adjacency failure”, that is, the background (the adjacent colour) closes in on the type, thus making it difficult to read.” This is particularly evident on a screen that only shows low resolution (72 d.p.i.)
Thanks Norm ! By the way , I don't intend on using a lot of trade terminology because I want this site to be user-friendly for the non sign trade person.

Well I hadn’t considered those with low res, or poor vision; there is a glow to the letters which does make it slightly harder on the eyes. I will figure out how to do it and choose the replacement but I can’t take the required hour or two right now to do it.
And besides, I do like the effect. With large bold letters, White on Black is one of the top most-visible colour combinations. High on the list is Yellow on Black, Red on White but that’s in Colour Choice 2 – coming later


One of the Very Satisfying things I like about my ‘job’
I had a very productive and signsatisfying day today , doing one of the signsatisfyingly things I love to do on a quiet, overcast, and cool day. No one’s around, no one’s phoning and I have a mission which with most of the distractions out of the way, I go out to the solace of my signshack 30 paces down the back garden. . I pluck my bandsaw blade , and listen like I do with my guitar, to the reverberation. And to my skilled ear know that it is perfectly tuned.
And I open my chisel case.
Carving. ! Wood. ! A Neat project to create ! The Time !
I feel a warm gut satisfaction, as I watch my hands puush the knife-edge gouge to bite it’s first chip of the day.
I like doing it by hand. I love using chisels. I’ve gotten great satisfaction today out of hand carving my sign pieces, emblems, wooden letters, a Pike and a foot-tall Muskoka Chair +.

Brushing away the wood-chips, carefully pulling an image out of my head and slicing this same image out of a blank. That’s part of my STYLE !

All wood stuff today. Which means tomorrow is all painting finishing, and gilding.

Anything "out of the box"
I also spent a great deal of the day preparing my float for our Santa Claus parade. on Saturday. It's not very big, but it's Beautiful if to say so myself !
Being a Cabinetmaker as well as a Signwriter and a very creative person, I am often creating a one of a kind something, often for recent sign clients. The sled for the parade is simply made, but quite lavishly decorated. I recently created a custom fit trophy travel case, a rural mailbox to match the estate house, and a deluxe exhibition booth.


I call this my ‘anything out of the box’ mode.

If you need some Thing made well, designed and beyond ordinary, I revel in the challenge.

+Muskoka Chair <>