Listed on Blogwise

Thursday, December 30, 2004

My History in the Sign Business - Conclusion

begins with Signs 1.01
1.02
1.03
1.04
then . . .
In 1995, I returned to Canada and with a wealth of experience few others could match, I sought to join larger companies where I would work with teams to create larger, expensive architectural landmarks; signage that can’t really be done by a one man band. The Computer really had pushed hand-done work out of practicality, profitability, and took much of the satisfaction out of it too. By 1999 there were only two things left that the computer couldn’t do that I could. - lettering directly onto concrete - they now have vinyl that adheres to concrete ; and, reproducing antique style signs, and now these folk art signs that are done in Asia and sell at nearly dollar store prices - well I can’t do them that cheap, but I really really truly doubt that the computer will ever be able to beat those ”artists” either. But I’ve underestimated the computer before.

So now, 24 years later, I come full circle and in seeking renewed satisfaction for my craft, I again become a one-man band, in my beautiful town of Alliston, Ontario and begin a new era in my career where I will combine the best of my creativity , brush, airbrush, computer, and vast experience and try to make a living but with fulfillment.



My life masterpiece -
Most would not know the meticulous detailing. The sweat and tears to create it, then the client changes his mind 1 hour before I finish. And he still wants it on time. Exhastburating. Challenging. Moments of fun. Hours of focussed, fulfilling effort, some tedium, keep your wits about you as you go through the 11th hour, watch the fresh paint, watch the apprentice inadvertently scratch it or put it on upside down,, Now the client wants two. Aluminum dust, paint fumes. Vinyl fumes. Compressor noise. Dust in the air. plastic dust. Distractions. Do this first - it’s a rush. Wait, this is rush too. But do this other other rush first. ……………

It’s said there’s three kinds of signs and you can only pick two at a time -
Good and cheap, but not fast
Good and fast but not cheap
Fast and cheap, but not good
But of course everyone wants it all.
And when it’s complete, they want it blue, not green; you made two, they want three,
You install three. They really only need one and don’t want to pay for the others.
UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!1

But we love this business despite it all.


I pause for a moment as I pallet my brush in my cup,
Some emerald green on my dry and wrinkled thumb
I gaze past the paint and the quill that my dad once owned,
and see his hands.
END