Listed on Blogwise

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Day in the life of a Lone Sign maker

Christmas is the deadline for most of the projects I have on right now And since I can't get my brainspace into editing or writing for the day, I shall describe what I'm doing and how and why.

3 More signs for the School adding to the main signs I did in the summer: 3 shaped ( i dislike rectangles) crezon signs , yesterday was the prime coat and I do this with a stiff brush to make sure I get into every little pore on every surface. Today I'll sand them lightly and put on the base white coat; on the back this hour, on the front and edges this evening.

A cottage sign ( client is giving it as a christmas present ) : 12" x 40" x 2" . I've already spent 3 hours carving a 16" tall fish (pike) and a 12" tall wooden deck chair which are to be attached to either end of the sign. Last night I finished incising the name in a script. Today it's staining the blank, and painting the coloured details on the fish and shadowing the chairs. tomorrow is leafing and shmaltzing.

Post and Panel Church Welcome: 4' x 4' crezon panel with raised header and footer panels
and an Open Book in the middle with a changable message. today its base coating.

I have assembly of 30 plastic signs on the go.

Design for stage two of a Car Dealership. One was the showroom rendering of the new building 2'x3'. Two is fine tuning the details for the artwork of the site billboard 8' x 12' - january / february

Design for a pedestal coloum sign approx 2'w x 5' h x 1 1/2', just had meeting #2 with client; this is to be spectacular so we may run several weeks in the design alone. Wanted for the new year. Will be working with Slate, copper, stainless and wood.

A wood framed old style Chalkboard for a Pub that I've done all the other signage already
(not due yet - new year)

An Estate sign for the driveway entrance. Another really special one, still waiting on a desicion on which design.

And that's about all which is quite a bit for me, on top of being a single parent, which is a handfull in itself.

I will try to get some photos here, but I'm still haven't figured out how. Error messages etc. ug.