Listed on Blogwise

Thursday, November 25, 2004

WHENSPACINGISASIMPORTANTASS PELLING.

When I started out in the sign biz, one of my first jobs was a particular window lettering job.
While out making cold-calls, I came across a blank storefront and so went in to tell my schpeil. The man was just opening his denture clinic and was glad I came in; could I do it then and there?
Of course ! I opened my box and although I had never yet practiced lettering a window in reverse, I wasn’t concerned because my skills were substantial enough to give me the confidence. He spelled it out on a piece of paper. As I began, with his chit- chat continuing, I didn’t actually lay it out on the glass, because he wanted it Right Justified. And with reverse lettering you actually start painting the last letter from the end of the word, finishing with the first letter in the phrase.
I wrote his name on the first line, and the second line DENTURE THERAPIST, I’d lettered THERAPIST and stopped with him to take a coffee break. Passers by were taking notice. “people are glad to know what we are now” he said. But we started to see that they were laughing, pointing. We went outside to have a look ……… I’d inadvertantly put a space in so it read …..THE RAPIST.