Listed on Blogwise

Monday, February 28, 2005

I took down the ten awnings the next day and have spent the past week shuffling them around in my limited space.

Cleaning every square inch underside and outside.
Touching up the metal framework.
Removing the old vinyl lettering and stripes.
Removing the old sticky adhesive.
Brushing corners and rolling surfaces.
Three coats. Inside and out.
I'd planned on 3 days. Call it five because i hadn't counted on the vinyl being As stuck as it was, nor did I notice before that 5 of the 10 were blue colour on the underside too. But like all my work, I take pride it doing it properly.

Next, the logo and wording all cut out of 3 colours of vinyl, in several sizes on the plotter.
That all needs weeding and masking and cut and arranged, layed in place and stuck down.

Plus, there's an A board, and 2 suspended signs, Hours sign, door lettering
and I have still to remove the old window lettering which I shall do amidst a blizzardy storm that is called for, because the store opens Thursday.
So I hope to have the majority of all done tomorrow for Wednesday install.

And I've already been asked to redo the signage at their other store 40 miles away.

The several other jobs I have are each in the design stage:

A juice bar becomes a bistro.

Cabinetmaker: A sleek Logo required, then unusual sign to follow. I've been given artistic licence and a decent budget. He wants spectacular, and i'm going to deliver.

Kids clothing moving to new premises.

The local Museum needs a few things on which I am bidding.

Deluxe custom message board for a florist.

Finally, I am making some signs for myself.

I built a high sided trailer for general installations and there are 6 inset panels of which I shall put a different sign ( 16 x 44 ) in each. Different materials, colours, layouts.

  1. 2 foot x 2 foot birdhouse shape, cobalt blue 'roof' reflective orange surface and . . . .
  2. reproduction 1900's tradesman's shingle.
  3. relief rectangle rounded corners lemon yellow, with emerald green and process blue lettering.
  4. plain coroplast blank with vinyl stripes, and descriptive wording,
  5. 6" x 24 " x 2 " etched foam blank with phone number, silver foil on blue.
  6. simple 16 x 44 blank in brown with gold foil centred name.

And the list of I wanna do's goes on and on.

And being a single Dad as well, I couldn't do any of this without the help of my good friends. Thank you.

ps: Both my kids have said that it's pretty neat to live around a house where signs are constantly been made, then they see them up on the stores. They point at the name in the corner and say, "See, My Dad made that sign". I think that's neat.